Job Code: #642
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $29.00 - $32.50/hour
Job Location: Melrose Park, IL
Job Title: EHS Specialist
Pay: $29.00 - $32.50 per hour.
Job Overview: Under the direction of the EH&S Manager, the EHS Specialist provides regular consultation to area management and employees regarding health, safety and environmental issues. This role coordinates EH&S affairs at the site to ensure their alignment with the corporate mission, vision, objectives and values statements and compliance with all applicable State, Federal and Local laws, regulations, statutes and ordinances designed to minimize risk and protect the health and safety of our employees and the environment.
• Provide support to EHS Manager in maintaining EHS programs designed to mitigate workplace injuries and illnesses and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Coordinate with the EHS Manager to introduce best in class practices and establish an effective EH&S culture.
• Function as a subject matter expert for Safety, Health and Environmental issues.
• Ensure corrective and preventative measures (action plans) are completed and effective for incidents including injuries, illnesses and close calls.
• Ensure systems are in place to encourage the reporting of all accidents, injuries (regardless of severity) and especially close call events (near misses) and that they are being investigated in a timely fashion.
• Deliver workplace training and coaching, including administering the Respiratory Protection Program and other programs as required or necessary.
• Support the Employee Safety Committee(s) and partner with area safety representatives.
• Coordinate and lead the site Emergency response teams and participants (e.g. First Aid, Fire Extinguisher and HAZWOPER.)
• Assist with environmental program/permitting inspections, monitoring and reporting (e.g., MWRDGC Discharge Authorization, ISO 14001, IEPA Annual Emission Report, Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability, Cook County Liquid Hazardous Waste Reporting, SPCC Plan, etc.) and supporting site hazardous waste management efforts.
• Assist with the Laboratory Safety program, Hazard Communication and SOS management efforts.
• Assist with reporting of site EHS metrics to Global and Regional EHS, and to the local operations.
• Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety or an equivalent program
• Three to five years of experience in Health & Safety, preferably in a manufacturing facility with pharmaceutical manufacturing
• Must have good verbal and written communication skills
• Must have good organizational skills and be able to work independently or collaboratively
• Advance computer systems knowledge: Office 365, Outlook
• Some flexibility with working hours
• Hazwoper certification preferred, but not required
• Experience with ISO 14001 and/or 50001 preferred, but not required