Job Title: R&D Section Manager
Pay: $130,000 – 140,000
The manager is responsible for coordinating, planning and monitoring all activities of the designated R & D unit which includes; researching and developing new products or technologies, improving existing products, and testing of new or improved product formulas and packages within guidelines established by the Vice-President, Product Development and Quality Systems, the Product Development Committee and/or the Marketing and International departments. She/he will ensure strict adherence to Good Laboratory practices, safety regulations and confidential procedures at all times. He/she maintains a high level of knowledge in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries to ensure optimum performance of the R & D team, recommends and implements techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, minimize costs, and maintain state-of-the-art practices. He/she will maintain effective communication within areas of responsibility. The manager Is responsible for technical updates, project review presentations to senior management, meeting minutes, performance appraisals, regulatory documents operating procedures, budgets and other communication as needed. The Section Manager has full authority to operate this position in accordance with Company policy and as directed by the Director, R&D.
Essential Job Functions:
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Directs the development, testing of new or improved product formulas, packages or processes, in conjunction with guidelines established with the Marketing Department, International Department, the Product Development Committee or the Vice President, Product Development and Quality Systems.
- Responsible for the transition of new products from pilot scale to full up production, including the development and documentation of specifications, procedures and methodologies
- Explores new technologies, materials, and intellectual property, which may have applications for the product line.
- Keeps abreast of current trends, practices, developments and regulatory changes, which would impact Inc. products, procedures or packaging.
- Evaluates formulas, regulatory status and line extension potential of acquisition candidates.
- Provides the Marketing Department and Advertising Agencies with claims support information.
- Designs clinical or claims support studies.
- Negotiates with vendors and other outside research organizations to assist R & D in the completion of projects as approved by management.
- Regularly, makes presentations to groups of internal and/or external customers.
- Develops and maintains timelines, resource allocations and budgets for projects assigned and keeps the Vice President, Product Development and Quality Systems informed on the status of all R & D projects.
- Provides, in conjunction with the Vice President, Product Development and Quality Systems and R&D Director, primary input in the formulation of short-and long-range operating budgets and other objectives of the R & D Department; and, assures adherence, when published.
- Ensures optimum performance of the R & D functions. Recommends and implements techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, minimize costs and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Administers personnel assigned to the Department (i.e., hiring, training, project oversite, coaching mentoring, salary and, performance reviews, etc.) to encourage personal growth in their positions, develop their skills and future potential and maintain a high level of knowledge in the R & D industry. The Manger is responsible for fostering exceptional performance and professional development of scientific staff.
- Takes affirmative action in all conditions of employment to ensure that equal opportunity efforts and results are consistent with Company policies and practices
- Strengthens the R & D Department by contributing innovative ideas, expertise, knowledge, excellent work ethic, high professional standards, team spirit and pride in the Company.
- Is responsible for developing detailed internal work methods ensuring strict adherence to Good Laboratory practices, safety regulations and confidential procedures. He/she will be responsible for the routine management of the R&D laboratory.
- Provides oversight and collaborates with internal or external partners involved with clinical testing, claims substantiation, formulation development, raw materials and/or contract manufacturing.
- Ensures that confidential procedures are strictly adhered to at all times.
- Performs and assumes other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by the Vice-President, Product Development and Quality Systems and R&D Director.
- Supports the Winner’s Circle and Quality Systems processes.
Physical Demands and Environment:
- A minimum requirement of bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related discipline; or equivalent in training and experience is required. Professional Management training is also essential for this individual.
- The manager has a high level of knowledge in the personal care, over-the-counter drug and cosmetic industries and is responsible for leading the research, development and testing of new products, technologies, packaging, product improvements, factoring in technical, regulatory, competitive, cost, operational and project timing considerations. The knowledge and skills required for this position are typically acquired in 10 or more years of experience in a Pharmaceutical or related Health Care industry.
- Considerable interpersonal skills are required to interact with internal and external customers.
- Excellent management skills are required to successfully perform the planning, directing, reporting and administrative responsibilities of this position.
- Strong leadership skills are essential.
- Must possess good analytical abilities.
- A comprehensive knowledge of standard principles and practices in a Research & Development environment. Manufacturing operations experience is preferred.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of the OTC Monograph Systems and related regulations.
- Must have the ability to coordinate many departments towards a common goal.
- A broad understanding of physical and chemical properties of chemicals, OSHA regulations, CGMP and GMP.
- High degree of familiarity with and ability to use personal computers and business software.
- Must be discreet with confidential information of which he/she has access.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Good organization ability and project management skills.
- Willingness to accept other duties, as assigned.
- Must possess the ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with internal and external customers, function as a team player, accept constructive criticism from management and comply with Company policies.
- This position requires the individual to Stand or Walk up to 33% of the time. This position requires the individual to Sit, Talk or Hear, and use hands to Finger, Handle or Feel 66-100% of the time. This position requires the individual to reach with hands and arms 33 to 66% of the time.
- This position will require the individual to lift up to 10 pounds 33-66% of the time.
- The vision requirements for this position includes close vision of 20 inches or less; distance vision of 20 feet or more, color vision (ability to distinguish between colors), peripheral vision (ability to see up, down, left, right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (3 dimensional vision), and Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus).
- This position has no exposer to measurable environmental hazards or conditions.
- The noise level for this position will Be Moderate Noise (Ex: business office with computer printers, light traffic, laboratory equipment such as mixers and homogenizers, and production equipment).